Monday, January 16, 2012

Seen Memories

Like many, I spent the holidays traveling among the homes of my loved ones. One stop on the nearly thousand mile annual journey was to my father's home in Pennsylvania. Visiting there now, my father's home seemed to be the place where I would leave forgotten belongings after the many moves of my early twenties. As I spent a few days at my father's home I couldn't help but see these items I had left behind from my past and they all seemed to conjure up an unforgettable memory. I had to photograph these items and share them because I felt that this is something that happens to all of us.

I found these cameras in a box hidden in my father's home. They are from when I once sold cameras at a flea market on the upper west side of Manhattan right beside the Museum of Natural History. They remind me of the long summer weekends I would spend beside my table of old camera gear and the interactions I had with those who stopped by. I became a regular. Like many of the things you do in life, I never did it for the money, I did it for the experience.


The typewriter and painting where remnants from my apartment in South Boston where I lived while in school. Both were found items.

These ladders are the same ones I used when I was a house painter for two summers in order to pay for college. I would work 50 hour weeks for nearly 4 months during the school year in order to help pay for my schooling. These ladders remind me of that unforgettable time.

I took this Volkswagen peddle car as carry-on baggage during my flight home after visiting the Gulf Coast for the first time right after Hurricane Katrina. It was a gift for my father, who's a big VW fan. Seeing this brought me back to the memories of going down to photograph Hurricane Katrina.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home